Brief history of Cheb
The history of Cheb, one of the oldest towns in the Czech Republic, goes back to the 9th century. It is first mentioned in a list of the German king Henry IV. Construction of the first stone stronghold is connected with the early-Middle-Age´s policy of colonization. The German emperor Friedrich Barbarossa acquired Cheb as an inheritance in 1157; he had the stronghold rebuilt into a representative imperial residence. Under the rule of the king John Lucembursky the town was definetely added, as a hereditary security, to the Czech Crown countries. Within the Kingdom it had the privilage of self-governing territory with its own council. The Czech king George of Poděbrady used Cheb´s services for his political dealings as well. In the 16th century, Protestants started to have an influence in the hitherto Catholic Cheb. The last event that enabled the town to enter the „Highest Politics“ was the murder of the generalissimo of imperial troops, the Duke Albrecht von Wallenstein, which was commited on February 25, 1634 in Cheb. In the second half of the 17th century and in the 18th century the town of Cheb underwent a profound Baroque transformation. Such distinguished architects and builders as K. Diezenhofer, A. Leutner, P. Bayer, B. Alliprandi, A. Pfeffer and Cheb´s native Baltasar Neumann participated in reconstruction and construction of new buildings. Historical town heart underwent wide assanation and reconstruction on the break of the 50´s and 60´s of the 20th century. Cheb, a town where over 32.000 inhabitants live today, was appointed the town of historical conservation for its architectonic and building exclusivity. The town has its own museum, theater with a permanent theatre company, National Gallery of Fine Arts, plenty of private galleries and regional library. Since 1970 the International Festival of Youth Wind Orchestra (FIJO) is organized biannually. As a natural centre of the Czech part of so - called Euroregia Egrensis the town of Cheb is nowadays a frequented touristic centre.